SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME 2019
GALZ (The Association of LGBTI people in Zimbabwe) is pleased to announce the call for scholarships to LBQ students. The Munhu Munhu! Scholarship programme is created to provide financial support to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex (and Queer) individuals between 18 and 35 years of age who are pursuing a university degree in Democracy, Governance, Justice, Human Rights and Conflict Resolution studies. Through this scholarship, LBQ youth can apply for funds to pay for educational-related expenses towards a degree from any Zimbabwean State University.
The Scholarships seeks to ensure that the inclusion of marginalised groups in higher education is improved. The recipients of this scholarship are expected to pursue an active career and service in the area of Democracy, Governance, Justice, Human Rights and Conflict Resolution studies when they graduate and also support and contribute to the work of GALZ. The scholarship is intended to empower learners to serve and contribute powerfully and meaningfully to the realisation of rights for all, including persons of a diverse sexual and gender identity and expression in Zimbabwe and beyond.
Who can apply?
- The scholarship is reserved for students that identify as either Lesbian, Bisexual or Queer women (LBQ).
- This scholarship is available to LBQ women between 18 and 35 years of age.
- You must be enrolled in a Zimbabwe State University and successfully completed first year studies in any of the aforementioned disciplines.
- Zimbabwean citizens resident and studying in any of Zimbabwe’s State Universities
- Applicants must have excellent academic credentials and demonstrate human rights experience or interest
- Lesbian, Bisexual and Queer women students that are facing challenges with school fees, those that have dropped out on account of their sexual orientation or gender identity and would like to continue with their studies are encouraged to apply.
Non – eligible
- Non-Zimbabwean citizens
- Individuals attending an institution on a student visa
The Munhu Munhu! Scholarship covers:
- Support towards Full tuition fees
- Provision for stationery
- Contribution to accommodation expenses
- Write a letter of intent, maximum 800 words, detailing your belief that you should be one of the recipients of the Munhu Munhu! award and how it will support your pursuit of higher learning. Some questions to consider: What challenges have you faced as an LBQ learner?, How do you distinguish yourself as a leader? What leadership roles have you held? How have you supported others to grow in their own leadership experiences?
- Submit proof of enrollment in a Zimbabwe State University
- Attach a copy of a valid Zimbabwean identity document (ID)
- Latest certified Result Transcripts
- Educational Certificates
- Copy of Student ID
- Be available for an interview should you be one of the finalists selected.
- This scholarship strictly covers the above, students are required to source for additional funding to cover the rest of their requirements.
- Award money will be paid directly to the educational institution and only after proof of enrolment has been received.
- Requests for alternative arrangements will NOT be considered
- All decisions of the selection committee are FINAL.
Application deadline: 18 February 2019