Purpose of the assignment
GALZ is seeking the services of a Consultant to develop a gender policy for the organisation. The Policy aims to enhance understanding on the concept and articulation of gender amongst LGBTI persons and other sexual and gender minorities.
GALZ is a voluntary membership based organisation established in 1990 to serve the needs of the Lesbians, Gays, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex [LGBTI] community in Zimbabwe. It is constituted primarily to provide a service to Lesbian women, Gay men, Bisexual , Transgender and Intersex persons (LGBTI Persons) as well as persons of same sex sexualities and is not formed for the purposes of coercing or persuading anyone to lead the lifestyle of any particular sexual orientation or preference or gender identity.
GALZ envisions and works towards a just society that promotes and protects human rights of LGBTI people as equal citizens in Zimbabwe.
The understanding of gender has evolved and considered a key arm in development, as such national states are responding through creating legislations and guidelines to address gender equity and equality as witnessed by the Zimbabwe National Gender Policy. The Feminist movement and other developmental cadres have also been critical stakeholders in the framing, unpacking and enhanced understanding of the concept of gender. The framing developed so far has been difficult to apply within the LGBTI context where gender goes beyond the usual boundary of men and women. The issue of gender as a spectrum of identities, expressions and interpretations have been problematic to replicate in LGBTI spaces due to the changes in the contexts of minority sexualities and gender identities.
It is against this background that GALZ seeks to engage a Consultant to facilitate the development of a Gender Policy that would interpret gender as well as how persons of same sexuality interact with gender norms, gender identity and relations amongst LGBTI persons themselves and the broader societies.
Major Tasks to Be Accomplished
The Consultant is set to develop the GALZ Gender Policy through:
- Desk Review of National and International Gender Policies and guidelines as well as other key Gender documents
- Focus Group Discussions with members of the LGBTI/MSM/WSW
- Key Informant Interviews
- The Consultant is free to recommend any other methodology that they deem necessary in executing this task
Deliverables: A GALZ Gender Policy
Duration of Contract & Submission of End-Product
- To be agreed between GALZ and the Consultant
- Consultant is to consider the following in developing their work plan
- Signing of contract, Planning and development of Methodology
- Desk review
- Focus Group Discussions
- Key Informant Interviews
- Data Analysis
- Presentation of Draft Policy to GALZ Secretariat
- Adaptation of recommendations
- Submission of Final Policy
The Consultant will receive 30% upon signing of the contract, 30% upon presentation of Draft Policy and 40% after submission of final policy document.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience Required
- The Consultant must have at least a Masters Degree in Gender Studies, Development Studies, Social Policy or related discipline.
- Experience in Policy Development and analysis.
Experience in working with marginalised groups including LGBTI persons is an added advantage.
Send application including consultancy overview and CVs of key persons to email@example.com by 2359hrs on Wednesday 22 July. Any late submissions will not be considered. Only successful candidates may be engaged.